Andruw, Dodgers Head Into Town

Written by Jonathan on April 18, 2008 – 12:22 pm

The Braves (6-9) come home from their long road trip to square off against the Dodgers (7-8) in a matchup that will bring Andruw Jones back to Atlanta for the first time in an opposing uniform. The Braves are looking to carry some offensive momentum from last night’s thrashing of the Marlins back into Turner Field and hopefully get a little bit of a win streak going.

Projected Starters:
Friday: Jeff Bennett (0-0, 5.52, RHP) vs. Derek Lowe (1-0, 1.80, RHP)
This is looking to be much more of an offensive outing than a pitching matchup. Bennett is either on or he’s off; there’s no real middle ground for him. He’s gotten into a little trouble in long relief this season, but I think he’ll serve well in his role as a spot starter. Of course, with how fast our pitchers are falling, our spot starters will be our entire rotation soon.

Saturday: Tom Glavine (0-1, 2.38, LHP) vs. Chad Billingsley (0-2, 5.59, RHP)
Glavine is still a little bit of a cause for worry after leaving his last start without recording an out. He had a pitching session on Wednesday and said he feels good enough to go on Saturday and avoid a trip to the disabled list. I’m still a little worried about this and don’t want him to hurt himself any worse than he already is. Who knows, I could just be being to precautionary on this one. On the bright side, he faces off against Chad Billingsley who has struggled to find control so far this season.

Sunday: Jair Jurrjens (1-2, 3.93, RHP) vs. Hiroki Kuroda (1-1, 2.89, RHP)
Jurrjens had a hard time getting the ball over the plate in his last outing, throwing only about half of his pitches for strikes. He still managed, however, to only give up 2 earned runs. Unfortunately, the offense provided little support for him and he earned the loss. His record isn’t exactly telling of how well he has been throwing the ball this season, so I’m looking for another strong outing out of JJ.

Offensive Matchup:
The Braves’ offense continues to be streaky at best. I’ve said it too many times in the past week or so, but when we’re up in a game, the offense is on and can keep laying it on. Last night is a prime example with 15 hits and five home runs. However, in clutch situations, the offense is just flat. In the rare occurances that we’re getting runners on base with less than two outs, we’re stranding them or hitting into double plays.

The Dodgers are second in the NL with a team batting average of .275; the Braves are third with a .274. In the same number of games however, the Braves have plated 10 more runs (80-70) and have 10 more home runs (21-11). It should be a good matchup to watch.

Prediction:
On the strength of coming home from the long road trip and finally being back in front of the home crowd for motivation, I’m giving this one to the Braves 2-1.

Tags: ,
Posted in Series Previews | 15 Comments »

15 Responses to “Andruw, Dodgers Head Into Town”

1. By Susan on Apr 18, 2008 | Reply

I will be at Turner Field tonight to welcome our team back after a bumpy road trip. Thursday night’s game gives me hope that things are turning around. I can’t wait to see the braves back on their home turf.

Also, I hope Kotsay continues to play well so we can show Andruw that we are NOT missing him.

2. By Jonathan on Apr 18, 2008 | Reply

I’ll be there Saturday and Sunday enjoying the weekend series back at home. It’ll be nice to have the team back in town after the hellish road trip.

3. By Colin on Apr 18, 2008 | Reply

I’ll be out at the ballpark tonight and Sunday, not sure if I’ll make it down tomorrow or not.

It’ll be interesting to see who has put on more weight in person – Andruw or Glavine.

4. By Jonathan on Apr 18, 2008 | Reply

I’m not going to have access to the game tonight to keep the game thread up to date for everyone so we’ll use this thread during the game. Since most of the BravesBlast staff is going to be at the game, I’ll check in here and let everyone else keep me up to date on the game. I’ll stop by periodically on the BlackBerry to see how it’s going.

5. By Jonathan on Apr 18, 2008 | Reply

I feel so detached from the game without a TV. How’s it going? The weather should be pretty much perfect.

6. By Jonathan on Apr 18, 2008 | Reply

Somehow Jeff Bennett got out of a bases loaded, 1 out jam in the first with no runs scored.

It only took a few batters for hime to hit his first batter of the night.

7. By Jonathan on Apr 18, 2008 | Reply

Braves down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the first.

8. By Jonathan on Apr 18, 2008 | Reply

Andruw down on strikes for his first at bat back.

9. By Jonathan on Apr 18, 2008 | Reply

Braves get 2 in the bottom of the 2nd. Good to see first blood.

10. By Jonathan on Apr 18, 2008 | Reply

Chipper is amazing…4 home runs in 2 games.

11. By Susan on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

I will be at Turner Field tonight to welcome our team back after a bumpy road trip. Thursday night's game gives me hope that things are turning around. I can't wait to see the braves back on their home turf.

12. By Jonathan on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday enjoying the weekend series back at home. It'll be nice to have the team back in town after the hellish road trip.

13. By Colin on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

I'll be out at the ballpark tonight and Sunday, not sure if I'll make it down tomorrow or not.

It'll be interesting to see who has put on more weight in person – Andruw or Glavine.

14. By Jonathan on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

I'm not going to have access to the game tonight to keep the game thread up to date for everyone so we'll use this thread during the game. Since most of the BravesBlast staff is going to be at the game, I'll check in here and let everyone else keep me up to date on the game. I'll stop by periodically on the BlackBerry to see how it's going.

15. By Jonathan on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

I feel so detached from the game without a TV. How's it going? The weather should be pretty much perfect.