Teixeira Dealt to Angels for Kotchman

Written by Dan on July 29, 2008 – 5:45 pm

The Braves have traded free-agent to be Mark Teixeira to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in return for Casey Kotchman and pitching “prospect” Stephen Marek. Kotchman, 25, was hitting .287 with 12 homers and 57 RBI’s for the Angels this season. Kotchman, while not having the prowess of Teixeira, is a proven contact hitter and he also plays a good defensive first-base. He should provide the Braves with gap power and could be the ideal #2 hitter if he were to replicate his .372 OBP in 2007. Prospect Stephen Marek, also 25 years old, has a 2-6 record with¬†a 3.66 ERA in 34 relief¬†appearances for AA Arkansas. One bright spot on Marek’s stat line is that he has struck out 57 batters in 46.2 innings pitched this season. He converted to relief this season after starting games last season in High-A. Marek will not be a top prospect for this team but he may help at some point.

Tags: , ,
Posted in Roster Moves | 20 Comments »

20 Responses to “Teixeira Dealt to Angels for Kotchman”

1. By Andrew_Vazzano on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

CRAP!

2. By colin_ake60861 on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

At least it's not the Mets. Or the Yankees. It's more the Anti-Yankees.

3. By PapaGLP on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

Looks like Stephen Marek's the other half of the trade.

4. By Andrew_Vazzano on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

They are the anti-Yankees.

5. By Andrew_Vazzano on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

I really like Kotchman. I pick him on my fantasy team every year…

6. By PapaGLP on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

I'd say the Angels are definite contenders now. Even moreso than they were before the trade.

I like Kotchman as well….we'll see how it all works out. I think we could have done a little better in the trade however.

7. By daniel_a_fisher on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

I'd say that this trade was probably the best that was out there if the Diamondbacks weren't biting on Connor Jackson. Perhaps, it would have been better to wait it out until 3:55 on the 31st, but I will argue that Kotchman and Marek are at least at the value of the two prospects they would have received in the draft in 2008. Unfortunately, this package will not equate to that of what was sent to Texas last year for Teixeira.

8. By PapaGLP on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

I will agree that we probably couldn't have matched those prospects in the draft. It's just so hard to pick up pitching prospects and hard to tell where they'll go.

So I'm guessing we'll see Norton at first tonight.

9. By PapaGLP on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

Well, another night of our minor league lineup against the Cards.

10. By colin_ake60861 on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

Norton in cleanup is golden. Can't wait to see this.

11. By PapaGLP on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

It can't really make us do any worse……

12. By PapaGLP on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

Glad to see Frank's interested in keeping Kotchman around for awhile.

13. By colin_ake60861 on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

I missed that – will ya fill us in?

14. By PapaGLP on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

Frank was on the TV coverage tonight and said they're looking at keeping Kotchman longer term.

15. By Akshay982 on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

They might as well, he's a decent average hitter with power and a good OBP and OPS, plus he'll be very affordable at a long term rate and could conceivably be here until the end of his career. We just need a guy to fill in right field until Heyward is ready, I'm pretty confident they'll find something in the offseason, whether it's Jason Bay or another free agent.

16. By Akshay982 on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

More bad news by the way, not on the injury front. Also, don't know if we already know this, but, get ready, Jair Jurrjens is a *gasp* Scott Boras client :"(

17. By Bud on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

Good trade. No way anybody's giving up three or four players for a two-month rental. Wren got a good, young first baseman who is signed through 2011, who plays exceptional defense, who hits well (Kotchman wears out lefties) and who figures to get better. Marek throws mid-90s, has experience as a starter and reliever, and has a ton of strikeouts in his minor-league career. We'll see how he develops, but I like adding Kotchman to the core of young talent already in place.

Bud.

18. By colin_ake60861 on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

Right field? Don't you mean left field? I'd think Francoeur still has a bit of rope to hang himself with in right.

19. By colin_ake60861 on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

I'm impressed the Braves got Kotchman out of the Angels – Tex is good, but he's definitely not signed through 3 more seasons. The fact that we got Marek (who, as you said, strikes out a ton) thrown in is just a bonus on the trade.

What do you think the chances of the Angels re-signing Teixeira at the end of the year? Will they be able to keep him away from New York and New York, respectively?

20. By Akshay982 on Feb 2, 2009 | Reply

i get myself mixed up sometimes. I did mean left field, lol. I think Heyward is actually a right fielder, but could probably move. He's got the speed (15 steals this year in 16 attempts) and could play either center or left.