Braves Sign Lowe

Written by Colin on January 13, 2009 – 11:43 am

Reports state that the Braves have signed Derek Lowe to a four year, $60M contract. The Braves are expected to make it official after Lowe takes a physical tomorrow.

Thoughts? I’m thrilled. We need a strong rotation this year. It takes the sting off this otherwise tough offseason.

If the Lowe and Kawakami thing are made official, then we’re going to have a strong rotation. Doesn’t leave room for Glavine in the rotation, but I’m OK with that. Jurrjens and Morton/Hanson need spots. Got to develop that young talent, too.

Reactions?

Tags: ,
Posted in Roster Moves | 23 Comments »

23 Responses to “Braves Sign Lowe”

1. By TheRopolitans on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

Grrrr

2. By Colin Ake on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

:) We'll take Lowe, thank you very much. It's about time something this offseason went our way.

The NL East will be fun this year.

3. By TheRopolitans on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

Absolutely. Looking forward to it.

I think you're allowed to celebrate like I did last off-season, but to a lesser degree.

4. By Jonathan on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

After the offseason we've had so far, we will gladly celebrate any little victory we can.

5. By josh on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

I was just reading that his 2nd best offer from the mets was 3 years 36 million. why would we give Lowe 60 million for 4? Oh well im just glad we are putting something together. lets go get a bat now.

6. By Colin Ake on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

It's expensive, but we needed an ace. And he is the closest to that bill on the market. It's a start.

7. By Colin Ake on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

This will make you want to cry: Smoltzie in a Boston hat.

8. By AnaMayShun on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

I've read that Ben Sheet could be available for a cheap price. I think we should go after him also. When healthy he can also be a #1 starter. Having a rotation of Lowe, Sheets, Vasquez/Jurrjen, and Kawakami would be great. Which then allows Hanson and Morton in the minors working on their stuff. And allows moves for other pitchers to the bullpen.
    And if Sheets does gets hurt, we have capable pitchers waiting by. Or we could use one to trade for the Outfield bat we're desperately looking for.

9. By AnaMayShun on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

Now that Lowe and Kawakami are signed. I think if we really want a solid rotation. We should go after Ben Sheets for 2-3 years. His asking price is getting driven down due to his health issues. When healthy he's one of the best SP's in the game. He has over 1200 K's in 8 seasons.
    A starting rotation of Lowe, Sheets, Jurrjens/Vasquez, Kawakami would do wonders for this team. It will allow Hanson and Morton to work on their pitching a lil more in the Minors. And allow a couple pitchers to be moved to the bullpen to help solidify that a little more.
    We could also, use one of those pitchers to help pull in a big hitting outfielder.

10. By David on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

That was not a very good thing to do at all. you should not post a picture of Smoltz in a Boston hat for us to see!

But i am very excited about Lowe coming to Atlanta. Finally we have someone we can really trust in the top of the rotation. and with him and Vazquez, we got two guys who we know for sure will go deep into a ball game, and we wont have to keep turning to our pen in the 5th or 6th inning.

if the Braves can sign Ben Sheets for cheap like some rumors have it, and they do sign Adam Dunn (i really dont see either really happening) this could be a very fun team to watch this year.

11. By Jeff on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

We may be over paying him a little but I am glad that we finally signed someone, especially someone who should pitch a lot of innings, which we missed last year with Hudson, Smoltz and Hampton (of course) being hurt.

12. By Colin Ake on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

Yeah, sorry for posting the picture, but it's worth seeing by us Braves fans. Smoltzie still deserves our respect.

I think we're done signing pitching. We've signed Kawakami, Vazquez, and probably Lowe. Why keep going? Need to leave room for Jurrjens, Morton, and the other young guys to develop. Can't do that if we have veterans pitching all the time.

I'd be cool with Dunn, but we really only need a year or two from this outfield bat before we have a LARGE amount of outfield talent ready to go from our farm system. I think if we get a bat like Abreu, we're going to have a fun team to watch. Just need someone to protect Chipper for a year or two.

13. By Sheryl on Jan 13, 2009 | Reply

and him looking so happy too! definitely not a good thing to do :)

14. By Mr. Met on Jan 14, 2009 | Reply

The lowe signing def. has its downside. The man is 35 right now!!! At then end of his contract he will be 39. He has been durable but there is no way that he is keeping up the same numbers for the next four years. Also, 60 million was a bit excessive for lowe after they probably could have gotten him for 45. Although the braves went out and got their "ace" i dont like the deal at all coming from a contract standpoint.

15. By josh on Jan 14, 2009 | Reply

I really cant find a reason not to sign Abreu. We could get him on the cheap and not have to worry about french boy struggling. I know he is the home town boy but if we are going to part with Smoltz for team…. We have to address Jeff's struggles also.

16. By Andrew on Jan 14, 2009 | Reply

$60 mil seems a bit steep, but I was the one screaming for the Braves to offer him 4 years and $54 mil a while back, so I'm pretty happy. We've got our ace, and we now have one of the deepest rotations in the NL, especially if Hanson steps up this year.

Now sign a big OF bat!

17. By RueGrant on Jan 14, 2009 | Reply

Grant photoshopped Smoltz in a Boston hat about a month ago on his blog. it made me nauseous then when it was a seeming impossibility. NOW…. ugh… now it's ten times worse.

18. By Andrew on Jan 15, 2009 | Reply

Yeah, we already have a solid rotation with Campillo probably bringing up the rear. I'd say as it stands right now, we're in the top third of teams in the NL in terms of the rotation. If Hanson breaks through next year as a star, we'd probably have one of the top 2 or 3. Attentions should be solely focused on signing a big bat just to make our OF somewhat respectable. Last year's OF was historically bad. Abreu would be an excellent signing for us, as would Dunn, if we could get them for one or two years, but ideally we need a right-handed bat to go between Chipper and McCann. Personally, I hope we get Dunn, as he's almost a lock to hit around 40 HR and get 100+ walks every year.

19. By Colin Ake on Jan 15, 2009 | Reply

My issue with going after Sheets is that the Braves really don't need another pitcher. We need Jurrjens to pitch every five days to develop him, and adding another aging, injury plagued pitcher is not in the game plan, I don't think. I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening for any price.

20. By Colin Ake on Jan 15, 2009 | Reply

I'm with you on Abreu, Josh. That said, I don't think Frenchy's going anywhere. People can have a down year, sure. If he doesn't pick things back up this year, I'd look for people to question him – but he's still our starter in right field, barring a HORRIBLE spring training.

Abreu would probably be here to play left, and let Blanco/Anderson/Diaz/Jones fight it out for center, maybe right. We'll see how it plays out.

21. By Colin Ake on Jan 15, 2009 | Reply

Yeah, it's expensive Andrew, but we needed an ace. It may be too much four years from now, but we're used to paying an aging pitcher $15M to do nothing :D

I'm excited about Hanson, given a few years.

22. By AnaMayShun on Jan 15, 2009 | Reply

The thing I don't like about Dunn, is his strikeout rate. And he's asking for alot of money. Although, having a 40 HR guy would definately help Chipper out.

23. By Andrew on Jan 17, 2009 | Reply

Strikeouts aren't good, but when you're still getting on base at a .381 clip despite striking out at least 150 times, it's not a huge problem.