Fixing the Braves

Written by Colin on April 29, 2010 – 8:10 am

I cannot be the only one who is just shaking their head at this. It’s clear something IS wrong with the Braves and there needs to be a kick in the pants somewhere.

Bobby, I’ve got the fix. Just trust me and do as I say.

First of all, we’re going to bench Worthless and Strikeout. That’s right, Melky and Glaus are being benched for at least a week. Hell, let’s just drop Melky from the roster. Hinske gets the starts at first and Matt Diaz gets the starts in left. Diaz may take a little bit to spool up but that’s OK. We must remember in this situation that ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN MELKY. I mean really, there is more than one page of results when you search twitter for #melkysucks.

Next, we’re going to restructure the lineup. We’re going to put the guy with the highest OBP – here’s a noble idea – IN THE LEADOFF SPOT. That’s right, Prado gets the leadoff slot until McLouth comes around. Heyward gets the second hole because he’s batting better than anybody else who could go there AND it puts him in front of Chipper and McCann so he has to see good pitches. Here’s the new batting order.

1. Prado (.426 OBP)
2. Heyward
3. Jones
4. McCann
5. Diaz
6. Escobar
7. McLouth
8. Hinske

That should do it. All we’re going to do is change up the batting order so our solid players aren’t spread throughout with guaranteed outs trying to drive in runners in scoring position. We’re not going to let Heyward be protected in the batting order by Nate McLouth and the pitcher any more. It’s time to make some changes. I should mention that Glaus can come back after a week, but Melky should not be let back in the lineup under any circumstances.

So, what do you think of the fixes? Would this do it? If this wouldn’t fix the issue, what would?

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in General, Roster Moves | 16 Comments »

16 Responses to “Fixing the Braves”

1. By Matt on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Isn't Melky our only hot hitter right now? I agree that, generally, Melky sucks. But bench him right now? I'm not sure…

2. By Jonathan on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Plus, the leadoff spot for the Braves is cursed it seems . . . even with Prado hitting in it, he performed terribly.

3. By Jonathan on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

I'm going to have to agree that Melky's doing decent enough to stay in right now. He's on a 6-game hitting streak in which he's hitting .348 and is hitting .417 over the past 3 games.

4. By Colin Ake on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

I can be convinced of this. That said, I don't think he's permanent leadoff hitter material.

5. By Colin Ake on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

It can't stay this bad for long. It just can't.

6. By Castrologist on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Diaz is not the answer. He's a decent bench guy, but play him every day?…come on! How about Chipper and McCann? We need some effing homeruns. Escobar hasn't gone deep yet. Some of these guys need to hit the weight room. Home runs/extra base hits is what this team is missing. I don't know how you cure that by just shuffling people around. Perhaps try to bamboozle the Padres and get Adrian Gonzales? I still think Glaus is a pretty good hitter, but right now he is not getting it done. Don't give up on Melky yet.

Break the streak. I am not stopping drinking until we win again. Buy stock in Miller.

7. By HE15MAN on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Braves are playing uninspired baseball, and are setting the stage for another disappointing season for the south's ball team

8. By josh on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

I'm just numb. Cox will keep going with the status quo. Just waiting to see today's lineup so I can vomit in my mouth when I see Glaus's name on it.

9. By josh on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

I hope it's for good!! Best news I heard all day.

10. By Jonathan on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Well the game starts in a half hour and the lineup's out. Actually a surprise on here . . . Hinske's taking the start at 1st. Could just be a scheduled rest day for Glaus though I guess.

1 – Cabrera – LF
    2 – Escobar – SS
    3 – Prado – 2B
    4 – McCann – C
    5 – Hinske – 1B
    6 – Infante – 3B
    7 – Heyward – RF
    8 – McLouth – CF
    9 – Jurrjens – P

11. By Jonathan on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Not off to the best start. Down 3-0 in the first. Ugh.

12. By Jonathan on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Please break the slump, we need it. My season tickets are in 333 (right field) and we also have a few in 433. I don't think I'll be there tonight, not certain yet.

13. By josh on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Was talked into going to tonight's game. I will be the slump buster. You guys hang out around the right field foul pole? Anyway, Go Braves

14. By josh on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

I will try brother. I will stop by and say hello one of these days.

15. By joe on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

I agree entirley, only little tweak is keep melky for the next week or so until his bat cools off and go
    1mclouth
    2prado
    3esco
    4chip
    5bmac
    6heyward
    7hinske
    8diaz/melky
    but entirley ENTIRELY agree that Glaus's ass needs to be GONE!!!!!! Hes a washed up BUM!!!!! shouldnt have picked him up in the first place! Shouldve gone after xavier nady instead of melky too.

I think esco gettin some good pitches in front of chip and mac will be more productive in the long run the heyward just for this year. and keep prado in the 2 spot because hes a huge RBI guy! And the best on base small ball batter on the team. I know he cant knock in runs if nobody's on base but put mclouth in the 1 spot so he can warm up there cause if he warms up somewhere else hes just gonna get cold again when he gets moved again. Bobby is better than this, the problems were having shouldve been solved within the first 2 to 3 losses of this 9 game nightmare we just endured. Something's goin on beyond Bobby or something. Bobby's better and waaaayyyyy more intellegent than what has been showed

16. By jason on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Melky doesn't like you either.